Saturday, September 14, 2019

Off We Go, Into the Wild Blue Yonder!



I know the “wild blue yonder” normally refers to the skies, but it feels appropriate as I look out into the ocean from my balcony. Of course, it’s not the enormous veranda from last year. Suffice it to say, we won’t be hosting any soirées here! No, this is a balcony, and it’s small, but it certainly does the trick. And it’s absolutely delightful to  sit out here at the end of the day and reflect on everything that’s happened.

And what a day it has been! I already spilled a glass of water in my purse before I ever had my first drink, but we need not go into my clumsiness. The best part of today was reuniting with our friends Lynda and Andrew, who we met on last year’s cruise. That’s all of us in the photo, standing on what they call the “promenade”. Royal Caribbean is the only cruise line that has them as far as I know. They are pretty magnificent and you forget you’re on a ship. Think of it as a mini mall, full of bars, restaurants and stores. And yes, automobiles. I haven’t seen the car on this ship yet, but Royal Caribbean ships have an antique car on the promenade. I’m not quite sure why. Perhaps they auction it off to the highest bidder. I couldn’t care less. I only care about the sense of nostalgia I feel when I cross the promenade. It takes me back to my teen years in New Jersey, because one thing Jersey is full of is malls.  And anyone that grew up in Bergen County, NJ spent their fair share of time at Garden State Plaza in Paramus.  (You know you did. It’s okay, I did too).

After we visited the promenade, we wanted to watch the boat sail out of the harbor. We asked a bartender if he knew what time the ship was sailing out. And two drunk people at the bar started shouting “Who knows when the ship is sailing out?” This was followed by hysterical laughter from the pair of them. Yes, I imagine you DON’T know what time the ship is sailing out, Mr. and Mrs. Drunky McDrunkerson. You probably don’t know where you are, let alone what time it is.  Never mind the fact that I was asking the bartender, not them for the information. Sigh, sometimes working in hospitality gets the better of me, but I am on vacation, after all. Might as well laugh, and get myself a cocktail and join in on the festivities.

And on that note, it’s time to do EXACTLY that. Bon voyage, all!


No comments:

Post a Comment