Saturday, September 8, 2018

When You’re In A Suite, You Have To Act Classy



So our 24 hours in Rome were delightful. We had a wonderful dinner last night where we met a mother/son duo from Verona (that’s Romeo & Juliet territory) sitting next to us who graciously offered me a taste of their spaghetti carbonara. (And yes, I happily accepted… it was delish.) Check out the photo of our generous dinner neighbors if you’re so inclined. Interesting thing about service in Italy… it can be non-existent. We had to find someone to pay our bill (as did several other diners) since our waiter was nowhere to be found and we would never dine and dash! My little server heart shattered in a million pieces at the lack of gracious hospitality. At least the food was good. Of course, no meal involving wine would be complete without me doing my famous “smile and fade”. Thank you, mom, for getting us in a cab home before I fell headfirst onto our table. Jet lag is real, people!

This morning, before departing for the ship, we wandered around Rome and visited the Bocca Della Verita. (Mouth of Truth). It’s a 2800 pound disc made famous by the Audrey Hepburn movie “Roman Holiday”. Myth says that if you stick your hand in its mouth and say something untruthful, your hand will be bitten off. Luckily my mom and I have the worst poker faces known to man and don’t fib. As my acting teacher always says, “Don’t lie. You’re just going to get caught.” (Thank you, Matt, for helping me keep my extremities attached to my body!)

Too soon it was time to depart for the ship, but we were eager with anticipation to see our home for the next 11 days. For those that don’t know, we placed a bid to be upgraded to a larger cabin. We were hoping for a balcony, but as a joke, I placed a bid on a suite, never dreaming it would ever come to fruition. Voila! Our bid was accepted and we were upgraded to a “Family Veranda Suite”. The cabin is enormous and our balcony could host quite a nice soirée. (Something to consider for our days at sea.)

But the thing we are discovering is when you are in a suite, you feel like a VIP. We had our own line at check-in, a separate dining room and closet/storage space that puts my apartment to shame. I don’t know if gals like us are fancy enough for this kind of treatment, but I will happily take the larger balcony to dry my bathing suits!

One thing that made me laugh… they are playing the film “Overboard” in our cabins. Is that not tempting fate? I plan on keeping my feet planted firmly on deck, I promise!

Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment