Monday, September 17, 2018

Nothing Like A Noodle To Make New Friends


I am not ashamed to admit I brought inflatable noodles on my vacation. Don’t worry, it’s nothing kinky! They’re floaties for grownups... and I love them! I had seen the styrofoam ones that kids use, but when I found out they make inflatable versions, I went right on Amazon and bought a set for me and my mom to use at the beach. Technically, mine are called “Doodles” but the concept is the same. I’m actually a really good swimmer and don’t need a flotation device, but hey, I have no desire to tread water. Swimming is meant to be relaxing, in my opinion. When I see someone swimming laps in the ocean, I’m always puzzled. Why would you want to waste time exercising when you can simply enjoy the scenery? Personally, I save my workouts for the gym! Thus, there was no exercising on my mind when we set off on our catamaran in Palma De Mallorca this morning.

I couldn’t tell you where we went, but it was gorgeous. The waters were crystal clear and everyone was as excited as me to spend some time in the sea. Our friends Linda and Andrew joined us, and when they saw me take the Doodles out of my backpack, they were like “You thought to pack those?” (Clearly they don’t know about my Excel spreadsheet packing list. I never forget to pack ANYTHING.) My mom didn’t want to swim today, so I offered a Doodle to Linda and she was thrilled. I went to inflate mine and Linda looked at me and said, “What are you doing?” I replied, “I’m blowing up my Doodle.” (Truth be told, very little air was going into the Doodle, but I didn’t think anything of it.) She said, “You know you have to squeeze on the valve to get it to open so air can go in it.” (No I didn’t know that.) The catamaran would’ve been headed back to the ship and I probably still would’ve been sitting there with a limp noodle, and no one wants THAT, am I right? (I sure don’t.) Thank you, Linda! I may be a great packer, but I am clearly an imbecile when it comes to anything mechanical… even if it’s something as simple as inflating a Doodle. Let me tell you, those Doodles were the best $10 I ever spent! You could sit on it like a chair and float the day away, while simultaneously sipping on a sangria. For my last day at sea, I couldn’t think of anything better.

Now I’m back on board, and as I sit on my big a** balcony with a glass of wine at my side, I watched the ship sail out of the harbor for the very last time. I have to admit, I’m sad to say goodbye to this ship and all the new friends we’ve made. From trivia to silent disco to bingo, it’s been so much fun and the only thing not making me totally depressed is the 5 days we have to look forward to in Barcelona. Still, I feel a bit melancholy. I guess that just means it’s been a great vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment