Sunday, September 16, 2018

I Am My Mother’s Daughter


We’ve all had moments where we cringe when someone says “You’re so much like your mother!” After all, as a grownup, you want to be your OWN person. I adore my mom, but we are different people in many respects. Today, however, I saw a side of my mom that reminded me of someone else I know… me. And I couldn’t be prouder.

We arrived in Ibiza this morning, and I wasn’t sure what to expect. Ibiza is known for beaches and parties… non-stop parties, hence our 2 a.m. departure time tonight. After last night’s Motown dance session, perhaps my mom and I should “trip the light fantastic” in one of the island's many clubs and listen to a world famous DJ spin some tracks. I guess most of the DJ’s are gone by now, as the height of the summer has long since past. So what should we do?

Well, to DO something we first needed to get into town. We discovered that the shuttle bus provided by our cruise line wasn’t FREE. I was incensed. I asked why we had to pay. The cruise official told me, “Well, we pay the shuttle operator to take you into town, so we have to get our money from somewhere.” I responded, “You DID get my money. You got it when I booked this cruise!!!” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Fortunately, we had just booked an excursion so our transportation was included. No shuttle bus for us. And no beach/clubs either.  We were headed to an underground cave!

The Can Marca Caves are located in the Port of San Miguel and are over 100,000 years old. That’s OLD. The caves were used at one time for smugglers to store contraband. Maybe I’d find some leftover gold coins if I was lucky. We didn’t know what to expect, but what the hell? This whole trip is about exploring new things, and an underground cave was certainly new for both of us. The caves were AWESOME. They were located inside this gorgeous cove and to gain access, you had to walk down all these winding stairs on the side of the cliff. People kept saying, “I can’t believe you dragged your mom here.” Dragged? She was having the time of her life! The stalagmites (I think that’s what they’re called) were so cool and at the end of the tour, there was a multi-colored light show with running water set to music.

We did eventually make it to a beach with two other friends we met on the ship. Our friends were equally incensed about the aforementioned shuttle bus and we were able to get a cab instead. I love the water, and it was nice to chill on the beach, drink sangria and chat with our friends. Later, as we walked back to the ship, we saw the guy selling tickets to the shuttle bus. He was talking to an older couple and we all were shaking our heads in disbelief. Something in my mom was triggered by this scene, and she immediately turned around, stormed over to the table and told the couple NOT to buy tickets for the shuttle. She said it was “Highway robbery” and they should just get a taxi at the stand outside the cruise port. The rest of us were hysterical. The ticket guy was giving her the stink eye and trying to convince the couple my mother was wrong. We’re not sure what they decided to do, but all three of us loved my mom’s sass. I was ironically beaming like a proud parent.

My  mom’s spunk and sense of adventure on this trip has been an inspiration to me. After everything we did today, my mom was still game to check out the “silent” disco under the stars. What the heck is that? Well, you get a headphone and you can select what kind of music you want to listen to and then you just boogie the night away. It’s so fun looking around and seeing everyone dancing but you have no idea to what music. Of course my mom and I chose the music of the sixties, and it was a blast. Some of our friends were there and we couldn’t stop laughing. The joy on my mom’s face when she dances once again reminds me of someone I know. You guessed it, it’s yours truly. Dancing lights up my soul and it clearly lights up my mom’s too. Who needs a club in Ibiza when you can dance under the stars of your own ship? What a great way to end my day. Time to boogie off to bed. Buenas noches, all!


No comments:

Post a Comment