Monday, December 4, 2017

My Love Triangle With Exercise and Food


            Yes, you heard that right. I’m in a threesome. And it’s complicated… and messy. Mom always said once you get three people together, things get difficult. There’s always an odd man out and decision-making is problematic. Is it any different with food and exercise? I certainly have relationships with both of them, though exercise was a slow-developing love. Our dating period was rough and sometimes I wanted to end the whole thing. It was one of those “I love you/I hate you” situations, as evidenced by my blog earlier this year (https://jewoppy.blogspot.com/2017/03/my-lovehate-relationship-with-exercise.html). Food, however, was truly a love-at-first-sight scenario. With so many yummy things to eat in the world, how could that not be the case? When people say, “Oh, I’m not really into desserts,” I want to punch them in the face as if I’m a scorned lover. And therein lies the problem. How do I LOVE food in a way that doesn’t undermine all the love and care I give to my exercise?

            ‘Tis the season to eat EVERYTHING. While that’s not true, it certainly feels that way every time you go to someone’s holiday party, or in my case, every time you WORK a holiday party. “I DESERVE to eat that pasta during shift meal,” I tell myself immediately followed by, “I’m working soooooo hard and I went for a long run in the park today!” And here’s another favorite from my Dina-Loves-Food-Playlist, “Oh I can have just ONE leftover dessert, can’t I? It’s so small.” (Not when you eat TEN of them in a row.)

            But honestly, using the holidays as an excuse is simply that. An excuse. Eating is a struggle for me all year round, in terms of finding a balance. I want to say “Yes” to practically any delicious food that’s put in front of me. Isn’t there an expression, “Say yes to everything?” Maybe I’m making that up, but I don’t think they were talking about food in any case. And the truth is, I DO like to say yes in life whenever I can – you feel agreeable and positive. However, with food, no matter how much I love it, I have to say NO or at the very least say YES to better eating options. Besides, just as in a human relationship, saying NO to food feels empowering, and makes you enjoy and appreciate when you do say YES all the more!

            I’ve always been a rule follower. Give me structure and I will thrive. Leave me to my own devices and I stress and angst over what to do. Call me a “good girl”, but I like knowing what I can (and can’t) do. I have so many decisions to make as a grown up. Can’t I have some things where I don’t need to think and I can just go into auto-pilot mode? That’s kind of how I feel about food. Left to my own devices, the desire to eat with reckless abandon and treat every day like it’s Jesus’ Last Supper is very tempting. Thus, I joined Weight Watchers earlier this year and I totally geeked out on entering my daily meals into the app and counting my points. And being the overachiever perfectionist I am, I LOVED when I was under my points goal for the day. The structure of Weight Watchers really suited me at the time and I lost weight too!

Flash forward to the present. I still want structure, but a different kind of structure that doesn’t require me using an app, and something that focuses on my nutrition and not primarily points. Enter my nutrionist pal, Avia. She’s going to help me design a plan that targets my health but also my love of food. She asked me to write down what I eat for three days in a row so she can see what my normal routine is. I’ve been avoiding doing it because I’m afraid she’ll say, “That’s what a 200 pound MAN should be eating, you cow!” She also asked me to name my three favorite foods—I’m assuming so she can make sure to incorporate them into my plan. I told my mom about it and we both said at the same time, “Ice cream, ice cream and ice cream!” (My college roommate Michele and I were known to scarf down a half gallon of ice cream together during all night study sessions.) I'm not sure Avia can include this delicious treat into my daily eating routine, but maybe once a week if I behave myself?


I’m grateful to finally be in love with exercising and hope it’s a love, like any good relationship, that will last a lifetime. I actually feel bummed on days I don’t make it to the gym, which ironically makes me happy! As for food, I don’t necessarily think it’s bad to be equally in love with food. It’s recognizing in both cases that too much of a good thing can be, well, too much. I don’t want to be the over-obsessed gal who is running on the treadmill when I have the flu and should be in bed resting. Nor do I want to be someone eating like there's no tomorrow. Note to self: How about stopping at one Oreo, instead of devouring the entire sleeve? The New Year is rapidly approaching and I would like to put my best foot forward now instead of waiting until January. So with that said, I am off to the gym to burn some calories and hope I don’t consume them all at the party I’m working this evening. Hope you’re all eating, drinking and being merry… just try your best to keep it in check!

No comments:

Post a Comment