Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Making of a Midwestern Mama


            Growing up on the East Coast in small-town New Jersey, the closest I got to the Midwest was watching “Footloose” repeatedly. (Yes, the film is apparently set in a fictional town in the Midwest).  It wasn’t until I was an adult in the “big city” that I was exposed to a vast assortment of people from all over the globe. I began to encounter Midwesterners more and more, and truth be told, I kind of developed a “thing” for them. And now that I have been cast in a new play, “Farce This!”, where I get to play a Soccer mom from the Midwest, well, the time has come to highlight some of the things I’m trying to channel in creating my character.

            I should start off by saying that much of my experiences have been shaped from the time I spent in Minnesota as well as the Minnesotan man I dated for over three years. But I have also worked side by side with several people from Wisconsin as well as having a close friend who grew up on a cattle farm in Nebraska. And I continue to meet more Midwesterners, including my castmate as well as the playwright (both of whom are from Iowa), so my opinions are not based solely on one person, or one place.

            First let’s talk about the mannerisms. People from the Midwest tend to be polite, and they smile… a lot. Secretly, they may want to curse you out and punch you in the face, but you’d never know it. On the outside, it’s all about proper manners and kind words. Midwesterners are also much less frantic and fast-paced than we New Yorkers. You walk down the streets of even a city like Minneapolis, and no one seems to be in a rush. People would never shove you out of the way because they have somewhere they had to be five minutes ago. People actually WANT to help you and they SMILE (there goes that smile word again) as they do it. And there’s something about the way they talk in general… I feel such a gentleness in their voices that reminds me of an episode of “The Donna Reed Show”.  Note to self: I need to sound less like a fast-paced diner waitress and start channeling Donna ASAP.

And of course I must discuss their activities. Can anyone say football? You think it’s big on the East Coast? It’s a way of life in the Midwest. These people go to games in the middle of a snowstorm! They are hard-core! And there’s also the state fairs. When I was a kid, the only state fair I knew of was the movie musical that starred Pat Boone. Well, it is a BIG deal in the Midwest. I happened to be in Minnesota during their annual state fair and it was all the rage on every radio and television station. Their slogan is “The Great Minnesota Get-Together”, so state fairs are big time. There are performers, livestock competitions, rides, food contests (I’d enter the pie contest… I make a mean strawberry apple pie with a lattice top!), not to mention all kinds of treats you can eat on a stick. I don’t even know if New Jersey has a state fair… or if anyone bothers going if they do. My play is set at a fair, sort of.  In actuality, the setting is a bake sale to raise funds for my children’s school. Bake sale? I can’t remember the last time any of my East Coast friends told me about a bake sale they were involved in for their kids. And I know my mom never participated in one either. She barely knows how to turn on the oven!

            Speaking of the oven… oh how I love the food of the Midwest! Have you ever had cheese curds? Astorians will relate when I say they remind me of Saganaki, a greek dish which is essentially fried cheese. I love cheese. I love fried food. The result? Yumminess on a plate. Then there’s “hot dish”. I don’t know what the hell is in there; I think it’s more a case of what’s NOT in there. I think they just throw leftovers from their fridge into a rectangular pan and bake it. It somehow always tastes delicious. And I can’t forget about my beloved beer cheese soup. When my Minnesotan boyfriend told me about this, I was astounded. They take beer AND cheese and combine it into something I can dip a loaf of bread into??? Is that too good to be true? Fortunately, it isn’t. Trust me when I say, it ain’t just wine that goes well with cheese! Maybe there’s room for some cheese curds on my bake sale table in the show? Or at the very least maybe I can get some in the dressing room backstage?
           
            I must also mention the effort people put into seeing one another. One night, my Minnesotan man and I drove ONE AND A HALF HOURS each way, just to have dinner with his friends. This apparently is NOTHING to Midwesterners. Everyone is so spread out; you don’t have much of a choice if you want to have a social life. I’m up in arms if I have to go anywhere that doesn’t involve me walking down the block to the nearest bar. Here’s me: “Are you kidding? I have to take the train all the way into Manhattan and then transfer to TWO more trains until I get to Brooklyn? Forget it, I’m staying home!” In my defense, that whole trip takes the SAME one and a half hours as the drive I did in Minnesota. It just feels like a bigger ordeal in NYC than it does in the Midwest. I somehow need to adapt this willingness to travel anywhere in order to fully embody a Midwesterner. I AM traveling into the West Village today for rehearsal all the way from Queens… does that count?


            Suffice it to say, I love these people. They are who I’d like to be at moments when my feisty nature gets the better of me. I’m ready to dive into this character and see exactly how much life can imitate my art. I don’t know if I’ll ever be as cool as Donna, but I will certainly try! Perhaps I’ll see you at the show: https://www.facebook.com/events/1315251741903289/, and you can tell me what YOU think.

No comments:

Post a Comment