Thursday, March 9, 2017

If The Present is a Gift, Then Why Do I Keep Trying To Return It?


            Actors are trained to be in the moment at all times. And yes, that’s as hard as it sounds. Try putting your attention on another person and being open to how they make you feel. Sometimes I want to run screaming like a banshee from the stage if I don’t like (or understand) what I see! But on the other hand, there is something so beautiful in connecting with another soul and expressing how they make you feel in that moment. And trust me, the moment will change in five seconds and you’ll feel something else. That’s what being present really is. Being open to moments as they happen and recognizing it can all turn on a dime.

            I’ve learned all too well that what is the primary focus for me as an actor, is often missing from my “real” life. In real life, people are anything BUT in the moment. Half the time, I’m not even sure if I’m on planet Earth. Well maybe my body is on Earth, but my mind (and my heart)… ugh, that’s a different story. I find too often that my mind is wandering off to parts unknown. Sometimes it goes to Worryville—the land where I WILL figure it out if I just keep thinking about it some more. Other days it goes to Fantasyland—well you can imagine what goes on there. I’m an accomplished writer walking the red carpet with my dream man at my side about to win some kind of award (Which one? Who cares? I’m WINNING something, okay?). Still at other times I’m in the land of Desperation—where I don’t think anything will ever work out for me. (Thankfully being the eternal optimist I am, I don’t visit there very often.) The bottom line is that I’m just not “in the moment” often enough.

            But that all changed for a day… a wonderful and magical day last weekend. I did a reading of my play, Elephants and Other Worldly Dilemmas, for a small group of invited guests and I really felt THERE. Like seriously THERE. Meaning I was present for the entire day. Ummm… that NEVER happens to me (as I’ve already stated). And particularly when I’m at the helm of anything artistic, it’s even harder for me to stay present to what’s going on. I’m generally all over the place, worrying about what has to happen when, and stressing about what could go wrong if things don’t happen when they’re supposed to. I often look back afterwards and everything is a whirlwind… a blur. I can’t really remember anything clearly. But on this remarkable day, I felt everything. Experienced everything. And LOVED all of it. And almost a week later, I still REMEMBER how amazing it felt. No blurs for me this time.

            Besides writing the piece, I am also in it, so that day I had to take on the function of writer, director, producer and actor. And it felt surprisingly okay. I was surrounded by gifted actors who are as generous as they are loving. The audience was made up of friends, clients (their human counterparts since my beloved fur babies wouldn’t really appreciate my show) and classmates… I felt so much love in that room. Maybe it was just my interpretation, being the warm and fuzzy gal that I am, but even if it was, I still felt it. For someone like me, who’s always trying to run in a million different directions simultaneously, to truly be only in one place at one time felt so freeing. And I never wanted it to end.

            And I can’t help but think that being present made everything go smoother, and the bumps that inevitably happened along the way seemed easier to deal with. Actors and audience members were late, snafus occurred during the show, people who I thought were coming didn’t, but I let it all roll off my back. I sat in the audience during the first half of the show and I actually ENJOYED myself. I don’t mean that in a gross, self-indulgent way. What I’m trying to say is that I enjoyed being in the audience, sitting next to two of my friends and taking in what was going on in front of me and feeling so damn proud of my actors. And then when it came time for me to take the stage, it felt equally joyful. Whether or not my performance was the best it could’ve been, I don’t know. And quite frankly, I don’t care. I had fun, and I felt blessed to be working with two wonderful actors who I respect and admire greatly.


            Having such a… dare I say it, PERFECT day made me start wondering about the word “present”. It literally means something which is occurring now. But the word “present” also signifies a gift… something we give to someone. Well last weekend, I think my experience incorporated both definitions. Because being in the present is the best gift anyone could give me. And this time, I plan on keeping it!

No comments:

Post a Comment