Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Burlesque at Nurse Bettie… or when people smell like the garbage they walk by in the street.


Burlesque AND smelly garbage? Say it isn’t so… well unfortunately, I can’t. But I’ll get to the smelly garbage soon enough.

The night started out pleasantly enough. I was all set to go see my dear friend Rosie Cheeks perform a special St. Patty’s Day Burlesque show at Nurse Bettie on the Lower East Side. My two gal pals and I pre-gamed it at my place by sharing a bottle of Prosecco before heading into the “city.” These days we were all slumming it in Astoria, Queens, and our trips to the island for anything other than work were sadly too few and far between.

We arrived at Nurse Bettie and met up with another friend, who was waiting for us by the bar. It should be mentioned that Nurse Bettie is a spectacularly beautiful venue. I adore the place. In fact, it was my neighborhood joint back in the days when the Lower East Side WAS my neighborhood.  The bar is super tiny and it was hard to imagine how they were going to fit burlesque performers in there, but I guess there’s nothing like getting up close and personal to someone shaking their tassel-clad tatas.

The Singing Siren was our host for the evening and the name says it all. In Greek mythology, “Sirens” were femme fatales who lured sailors to devastation with their beautiful singing. I don’t know if there were any sailors in the crowd, but this woman could certainly belt out a tune like nobody’s business. She was equally adept at comedy and poked just as much fun at herself as the audience, remarking at one point that her accent kept fluctuating between Irish, Jamaican and British. She told me I apparently have a burlesque doppelganger named “Dot Mitzvah.” Good to know my “inner exhibitionist” is being released by my counterpart, who, like me, is also Jewish. Thank you, Dot!

As for the burlesque performances… they were amazing. Each girl had her own unique tribute to St. Patty’s Day. Of course, the highlight of the evening for me was Rosie Cheeks. She entered to “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” wearing a beautiful green gown. And what’s at the end of every rainbow? Well if you’re Irish, it’s a pot of gold, of course, and Rosie had one of her own—appropriately placed over her hoo-hah. The icing on the cake was when she tossed chocolate gold coins to the audience—and yes, I did dive for those treats and managed to snag three!

I’ve been to several burlesque shows now. Does that make me a “burlesque groupie?” Perhaps, and I’m okay with that. What I’ve realized is how creative the art of burlesque actually is. We all know the end result going into one of these shows—the clothes are coming off. However, what we don’t know is HOW and WHEN they’re going to come off. There are different costumes, music and movements. The good burlesque performers have a story to tell and I am continually impressed and proud of Rosie’s skills at coming up with her stories. She’s been an “Ice Cream Woman,” “Frankenfurter” from “Rocky Horror,” a “Snowflake,” a “Lady in Red,” and now an “Irish Lassie.” What’s next? I guess I’ll have to go to more shows and find out.

And this is about where I get to the smelly garbage… After the performances were over, the girls and I turned back to the bar and as I sat down, I smelled the most horrific odor that almost knocked me right off the stool. I thought to myself, “I hope that’s not my friend. She really needs to shower.” As if she read my mind, she turned to me and said, “The person next to me smells like GARBAGE!” And I immediately replied, “Oh thank God. I thought that was YOU!” It didn’t relieve me of the stench, but at least I knew the perpetrator was someone other than my friend.

Then… just as we thought we had the smell contained to one person, someone else approaches the bar—this time a guy. As he uttered, “Excuse me,” while leaning over to order a drink, his kitty-litter breath hit all of us square in the face, and we simultaneously crinkled our noses in disgust. To add insult to injury, there was a tall dude floating around the bar who smelled like french fry grease! Is this some kind of subculture I’m not aware of? Perhaps they have meetings, and are obliged to wear dirty clothes and aren’t permitted to shower or brush their teeth. Maybe they assemble in some dingy basement pounding their fists in the air, cheering: “Stinkie people of the LES unite!”

Maybe I’ll form my own club, complete with my own cheer. What would be my battle cry? “Clean freaks of the world, hold up your vacuums!” Or maybe it should be something about Jewish Italian girls and their double whammy of guilt… dunno. I guess that’s a different story for another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment