Thursday, March 23, 2017

I Am Not A Hoarder… I Just Like To Collect Things


They say everything is all about perspective… heck, I say it all the time! But sometimes I wonder if I say it because I’m attempting to justify behaviors for which others are criticizing me.  I mean, is the old adage “You say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to” just an excuse to do whatever the hell we want?

My friend has recently been staying with me, and has pointed out on numerous occasions that I am a hoarder. WHAT??? The first time he said it, I was in shock. Aren’t hoarders people that collect phone books, used tires, broken mason jars and are eventually found dead amongst their piles of junk? (Take a look at the infamous Collyer brothers if you don’t believe me: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/collyer-brothers-brownstone-gallery-1.1187698

As for me, I certainly like to collect my fair share of tchotchkes (non-Jews will probably use the term knick-knacks). I admittedly have a collection of shot glasses filled with sand from whatever beach is indicated on the glass. I personally think it’s cool:



And it’s arranged neatly on a bookshelf with photos of my loved ones. What’s wrong with that? Don’t ask my friend. He thinks it’s insane.

            He also complains about my apparent massive collection of pots and pans. Ummm… excuse me, but don’t you use your oven as storage for YOUR pots and pans? Isn’t that a thing? And given that my kitchen is ONE WALL of my living room, I don’t have the kind of space that someone with an eat-in kitchen would have. But I think this looks fairly presentable:



(And for any of you Negative Nancies out there, I did NOT clean before I took either of those photographs.) Next he says that I never cook, so why would I need all those pots and pans? I tell him that I WILL move into a bigger place someday where I will have adequate cabinets to replace my oven as a storage space. Truth be told, other than breakfast, I kind of hate cooking, but that doesn’t mean I can’t invite someone over to use my things and cook for me! Someone must have a burning desire to use my Krups food processor, don’t they? (Please let me know if you do… I will supply food.)

Then there’s my closet… I kind of have three. I have an armoire as well as a deep closet that has a double rod for maximum hanging potential. My friend Jilleyn once helped me organize my clothes and had two piles—one designated for Clothes-To-Keep, and the other designated for the trash a.k.a. How-The-Hell-Could-You-Wear-That clothes. In fact, she pulled out one shirt, held it up and commented, “Weren’t you wearing this in a photo with my husband in the 1990s?” Hmmm… maybe I do need to get rid of some of my garments. I have adult friends who were children in the 90s, after all. Might be time to move on. But as far as my UNDERgarments go, I stand strong in my belief that you can never EVER have enough underwear. I am a Victoria’s Secret gal through and through and if I want to change my panties three times a day just because I can, then why shouldn’t I? “Oh, I feel like wearing my I Heart Dogs undies… hmmm… let me pull those out of my drawer and try them on.” Doesn’t that sound fun? And if they all fit in my dresser (okay I have to really shove the drawer closed right after I do my laundry) then who the hell is he to say how many is TOO MANY?

Of course I saved the discussion of my beloved books for last. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE  f *cks with my precious books. Yeah, we live in the age of the Kindle and the e-reader, and I certainly own one and am more than happy to use it on vacation where I can store multiple books and not carry a brick’s worth of physical books in my suitcase.  That said, there is NOTHING like the feel of a real book. Some books are just beloved treasures that you want to hold onto forever—and I don’t mean stored on some electronic device. You want the ACTUAL book and you want to SEE it on your shelf. I have more than one copy of “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen—my favorite book of all time and the entire set of Harry Potter books. Looking at them makes me smile at the memory of reading them for the first time:



Does that look messy to you? Me either. Okay, I confess I recently bought a book my acting teacher recommended about how to read plays. Well, my friend comes over to me and shows me the EXACT SAME BOOK already on my shelf. Oops, I guess I bought it twice. Maybe there is some room for improvement in my book buying compulsion. Or maybe it just means that the universe REALLY wants me to read the book!


I was reading an article where it said hoarding is when you can’t use the room in question for its intended purpose and you avoid having people over because you’re uncomfortable showing them how you live. Neither is true for me. I always have plenty of visible walking space AND I not only invite visitors over, they come to live with me when they are temporarily homeless (case in point with my current friend). My friend refers to my apartment as crowded, but many others have called my home “cozy”. But the friend in question fits everything he owns in one backpack, so perhaps I need to take what he says with a grain of salt. (Or perhaps I just need to show this friend the door and remind him not to let it hit him in the you-know-what on his way out!)


The bottom line is, don’t look out for me on an episode of “Hoarding: Buried Alive” on TLC anytime soon. This gal is strictly a pack rat and proud to be one!

No comments:

Post a Comment