Thursday, February 23, 2017

I Am Colorful And So Is My Food!


            I swear, I’ve been told I’m colorful. I’m not bragging or trying to sound like I’m the best thing next to sliced bread. (That spot is already held by my mother anyway.) People have used all sorts of words and phrases to describe me—vibrant, feisty, a spitfire, a ball of energy… Sometimes I wonder if it’s just their way of saying I’m a WEIRDO. But whatever the case may be, I know that I like to live life to the fullest and interact with as many people as possible. Everyone you meet is a chance to learn something new and possibly change your life as a result.

            Speaking of life changing experiences, I recently joined Weight Watchers. Yes, Oprah, “We’re doing it!” That woman sure is inspiring! I'd love to be invited to one of Oprah’s member parties. I want to sit in the woods with Oprah and sing “We’re having it all!” But all kidding aside, I think it’s the best eating program I’ve ever tried. Truly. However, I’m not really here to tout the wonders of Weight Watchers. It’s more to do with what I’m learning about food and myself.

            Weight Watchers assigns point values to the things you eat. And you only get a certain amount of points per day. I am on the strictest plan and only get 30.  A tablespoon of peanut butter is 3 points – 10% of my daily allowance! When I think about how I used to dig my spoon into a jar of peanut butter as if it were instead a container of Chobani non-fat yogurt… well that fantasy is over. The bottom line is this program has really made me stop and think about what I am putting in my mouth and whether or not I should be doing so. And what I’ve noticed is that I like eating colorful foods! Asparagus (even though it makes my pee smell funny), spinach, sweet potatoes, beets, tomatoes, eggs, salmon… I could go on, but don’t worry, I won’t. My friend offered to cook me dinner, and insisted on white potatoes and white rice as the side dishes. The white foods? Not so good. They had tons of points and little nutritional value. It’s the colorful foods that offer the best value for your points and your health. Okay, that’s not a total hard and fast rule, but a lot of the white carbs are super bad if you want to stay within your daily point allowance. Sweet potatoes are a way better bang for your buck than Idaho. And in my opinion, have a lot more flavor!


            I’m finding that as time goes on, I reach for the colorful foods, in my fruits, veggies and proteins. They make me happy and feel satisfied. And they don’t clog my insides, if you know what I mean. (And I’m sure you do.) And perhaps the people in our lives, like me, need to be colorful too! It takes all kinds of food to make a person feel content, and the people we interact with should be no different. My friends come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions and sexual preferences. They all provide me with something valuable – humor, adventure, wisdom, love, inspiration… Each has their own color that they add to my life and it’s such a blessing to have that diversity in my life. Perhaps we all need to step out of our comfort zones and choose to try new things… both in our eating choices and the company we keep. Variety is the spice of life, after all. And Oprah, if you’d like me to be part of the company YOU keep, I’m available to eat at your dinner table anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment