Friday, January 20, 2017

“It’s Science… You’re Not Supposed To Understand It!”


So says Linda Belcher on the animated show “Bob’s Burgers.” It was literally music to my ears when I heard Linda utter those words. It’s good to know I am not alone in my thinking… even if my science soul sister is a cartoon character. I simply can’t remember a time when I ever pondered the mystery of HOW something works. I flip a switch on the wall and PRESTO! I have light. You think I care how electricity is made? Nope. Didn’t Benjamin Franklin stand in the rain with a kite waiting for lightning to strike him so he could prove electricity existed? That would never be me. I hate the rain, and you’ll certainly never catch me outside in a storm if there’s a possibility of getting electrocuted. No, thank you.

Science is something that has always made me run screaming for the hills. I can’t even remember one science experiment I did in school other than the one where you put a battery and a light bulb on a wooden board to create a circuit. (It’s ironic I remembered that project, since I’ve already established I don’t give a hoot about how electricity is generated.) Science was so lackluster a subject for me that I don’t remember any of my teachers other than my Biology teacher, who was even shorter than me. I didn’t like her and neither did anyone else, evidenced by the little plastic army men scattered along the ceiling who were holding guns pointed directly at her desk (and her head). Even when I took Physical Science aka Earth Science, I was a lost cause. This was the class most people referred to as “silly science”. There was nothing “silly” about it for me. I had about as much of a chance of understanding ocean tides as I did of climbing Mt. Everest. (Thus far, I’ve only managed to climb Mt. Olympus in Greece.)

By the time Chemistry rolled around, I had officially given up on science. As they say in Monopoly, I passed go, and immediately sat my butt down in study hall, while the rest of my classmates played with their periodic tables and Bunsen burners. No way Chemistry was going to ruin my A+ average and mess up my college applications! Sometimes when friends commiserate over their high school/college Chemistry classes, I feel a slight twinge of sadness and regret but it passes quickly. Screw that! Sounds like I dodged a bullet!

As I’ve gotten older, my inability to understand science has not changed. Just the other night, someone was explaining to me how air conditioners worked. I thought it was by ADDING cold air into the room. Silly me. It apparently REMOVES heat from the room instead. How does that happen exactly? Don’t care. I’m the science dummy, remember? Then there is the issue with my thermos. I’ve had it for two years and it has faithfully kept my coffee super hot in the morning. It’s been delightful. But I’ve noticed recently it wasn’t doing the job so well anymore. I looked up online what could be causing my thermos to lose heat. Maybe, perchance, even someone like me could perform a quick fix and get it to work again. Well, the minute the website started talking about vacuum seals and insulation the game was over, and I was instantly on Amazon looking for a replacement product. Why try to understand why my thermos was broken when I can just throw it in the garbage and get a new one for $24.99?

         The kicker was when I asked my friend yesterday about dogs and cats for my Instagram page Dogtalesnyc. I wanted to know if by calling dogs and cats different “species” I was using the correct terminology. His text response was: “Dogs and cats are both animals, mammalian, and carnivores, but differ in family, genus, and species. Domestic dogs are canus familiaris and domestic cats are felus catus.” When I pointed out that even humans are animals, he stated: “Correct. I was just going through the different branches of taxonomy.” Ummm… okay, I don’t think I asked for all that. And I KNOW I didn’t understand any of it. But I’m pretty sure somewhere in there he said that dogs and cats ARE different species.

            I’ve come to accept that science is beyond the scope of my understanding. Kudos to my friends who work in the scientific field and DO get it. I’m comfortable trusting in others to provide me with any science information I may need. Yeah, fat chance. I’m reminded of one of my favorite scenes from the film “Baby Boom” where Diane Keaton’s character lives in small-town Vermont and has a complete meltdown upon discovering she has no water. When the repairman tries to explain to her why it’s not working, she exclaims in desperation: “I just want to turn on the faucets and have water.  I don’t want to know where it’s coming from!!!” Amen, Diane!



No comments:

Post a Comment